Organiser of the Wokingham half marathon reflects on its cancellation
Published: 14 Feb 2014 12:301 comment
Peter Evans, organiser of the annual event, made the decision on Friday, two days before the race was due to be held, and set about notifying the 3,000 entrants by email.
He said: “There was six to eight inches in some areas with more rain forecast. It was decided that it just wasn’t safe for people to run through.
“People wouldn’t have been able to see what they were treading on. It was too dangerous.
“We were ready to go ahead and plan alternative routes to circumnavigate the flooding but it was [flooded in] different parts of the course.”
All entrants will have free entry into next year’s race, after Mr Evans confirmed it would not be rescheduled for this year.
Mr Evans said: “We had the toilets delivered, and some marquees went up.
“It all has to be paid for, but we’re working with the insurance on it; we’ve got cancellation insurance.”
Despite notifying all entrants on Friday, three runners still turned up on the day, with Mr Evans positioning himself at the start line until 10.30am, just in case. He added: “Most people were understanding about it. A few people were disappointed, a few people were a little cross but the majority were sympathetic. Even one of the venues for car parking, the Emmbrook School was closed due to flooding.”
The race is now in its 31st year and this is the third time it has been cancelled – both times previously for snow. For information about the event, visit http://wokinghamhalfmarathon.co.uk