Wokingham firefighters issue chimney warning
Published 12 Mar 2013 17:30 0 Comments
A BARKHAM chimney blaze has sparked a warning about keeping chimney stacks free of soot.
Firefighters from Wokingham station rushed to Ye Olde Leathern Bottel pub, in Barkham Road, at 3.41pm today (Tuesday) to find flames making their way up the inside of the chimney.
The pub's landlords evacuated punters when the bar area started filling with smoke and used a fire extinguisher on the open fire below the chimney.
Crews went in shortly after to put out the fire inside the stack itself.
They spent an hour at the scene.
Red Watch manager, Neil Polbing, said: "We always recommend to anybody who has an open fire that they make sure they get their chimney swept at least twice a year - once before the season (September/October) and again as the season finishes (April/May).
"However, if you're using it on a regular basis we recommend an interval sweep between then, to make sure the build-up of soot doesn't accumulate on the inside of the chimney."
No-one was injured and there was no damage to the pub.
This article appeared in Bracknell News 12 Mar 13