Kitchen fire in Woosehill
Published 30 Sep 2011 08:55 0 Comments
FIREFIGHTERS have reminded people not to use some electrical appliances while they are asleep or out following a dishwasher fire in Wokingham.
Fortunately a teenage boy was at home when the dishwasher caught light at the home in Brookside at 7.30pm on last night (Thursday) and was able to call for help before the fire spread - but firefighters say many people are unaware that they should not use dishwashers, washing machines or tumble dryers when no one is keeping an eye on them.
The home had a smoke alarm and the fire was confined to the dishwasher and work surfacce although the smoke spread through the semi-detached house.
Watch manager Miles Cooper of Bracknell Fire Station, which attended the incident with a crew from Wokingham Road in Earley, said: "Only use dishwashers, tumble dryers and washing machines when you are in the house and definitely do not use them at night.
"If you can, make sure the door is shut to the room where these appliances are to reduce the fire or smoke spreading if they do catch fire."
This article appeared in Bracknell News 30 Sep 11