Details of Remembrance events
Published: 9 Nov 2012 19:30
This year, Remembrance Sunday falls on November 11 - the anniversary of the Armistice at the end of the First World War.
Wreaths will be laid and tributes made as people throughout Berkshire fall silent to observe the traditional two-minute silence.
Remembrance Day services will take place on Sunday:
* The Bracknell branch of the Royal British Legion will pay respects with the laying of wreaths and silence around the war memorial in Stanley Walk, at 10.45am. A parade will then march to the Holy Trinity Church for the Remembrance service.
* The congregation of St Francis & St Clare CofE Church, which is based at Jennett's Park School, will hold a service on Sunday in Tawny Owl Square, just outside the school. It begins at 10.30am with poppy-making for the children inside the school hall and then will process out to the square.
* Residents and soldiers from Sandhurst Military Academy - which is marking its 200th anniversary -will attend a civic service of Remembrance at 10.45am, in Sandhurst Memorial Park. Sandhurst Silver Band, St Michael's Church Choir and Sandhurst Corps of Drums will provide musical support.
* A two-minute silence will be held in Market Place, Wokingham, at 11am. The Remembrance Day Parade will then start at Wokingham Town Hall at 2.30pm, going to All Saints Church, in Norreys Avenue, for the annual service. The parade will then march through the town back to the town hall where wreaths will be laid on the war memorial.
* A parade in Binfield will start at Binfield Club car park, in Binfield Road, at 9.30am, and will arrive at All Saints' Church, Terrace Road North, at 10am.
* Crowthorne RBL will meet at 10am for its annual Remembrance Service at St John's Church, Wellington Road, Crowthorne - with Sandhurst Community Brass providing music. The congregation will then walk down to Lych Gate for 11am, to observe the two-minute silence and hang wreaths on the gate.
* People will gather at the war memorial in Ascot High Street at 10.20am; wreaths will be laid and two minutes silence will be held at 11am. Scouts, cubs, guides and brownies will then lead a parade to All Saints' Church in London Road for an 11.45am service.
* All Souls' Church in All Souls Road, South Ascot will hold a 10.30am service.
* A family service will be held at St Michael's and All Angels in Sunninghill at 9.15am where youngsters can explore the war graves and find out about the meaning of remembrance day. There will then be a service at 10.45am.
* Holy Trinity Church in Sunningdale will hold a ser-vice starting at the war memorial in Church Road at 10.45am and following the two-minute silence people will parade to the church where the service will continue.
* A civic remembrance service will be held at St Mary's Church in Winkfield at 10.45am and two minutes silence will be held at 11am.
* St Peter's Church in Cranbourne will hold a 10.45am remembrance service.
* At St Martin's, Chavey Down, a service of remembrance will be held at 9.30am.
* In Hurst, a Parade will form at 10.30am in the 'Castle' car park. At 10.45am there is a short march to St Nicholas Church for a service after which the congregation moves outside to the memorial for a short wreath-laying ceremony. The parade will re-form ready for the march back.
Get more stories from our Roundup section
11 Mar 2014 12:30
PLANS to ease congestion on the M4 have taken a step forward.
10 Mar 2014 17:30
KIND-HEARTED youngsters have been commended for their community work at an awards ceremony.
9 Mar 2014 13:10
A MAN has been charged after a 24-year-old collided with a car outside a Bracknell pub yesterday morning.
8 Mar 2014 13:00
TWO people have been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a man collided with a car outside a Bracknell pub in the early hours of this morning.
7 Mar 2014 14:15
Birch Hill Road, Hanworth Road and Ringmead are all open again after they were closed yesterday due to a burst water pipe.
6 Mar 2014 10:45
RESIDENTS in Hanworth and Birch Hill have been left stranded in their own homes after a burst water main left a waterwall of silt and water gushing down their roads.
4 Mar 2014 14:30
A CAMPAIGN promoting the strength of local weekly newspapers has been launched.
28 Feb 2014 17:00
MOTORISTS are being warned that nearly 50 roads will be closed for the Reading Half Marathon on Sunday.
26 Feb 2014 17:30
YOUNGSTERS took part in a sponsored sing-a-long to raise money for a children’s communication charity.
23 Feb 2014 17:30
Reporter Rhodri Andrews is taking on the Bracknell Half Marathon on April 27 to raise money for Sebastian’s Action Trust. The charity, set up in memory of Ascot schoolboy Sebastian Gates, supports severely ill children and their families through its holiday home and other services.
21 Feb 2014 08:00
A CAMPAIGN promoting the strength of local weekly newspapers is launching today.
20 Feb 2014 10:00
A 16-year-old girl was rushed to hospital after an online drinking game, a fast food restaurant has left residents infuriated after applying to open 24/7 and a quick-thinking nine-year-old saved his family from a house fire before going back to save his hamster. For these stories and more, pick up a copy of the News, on sale now, priced 70p.
20 Feb 2014 09:30
WOKINGHAM Hockey Club Men's 3rds dropped their first points of 2014 after a hard-fought 1-1 draw against a strong Wycombe 5ths side.
19 Feb 2014 15:30
A BAGSHOT-BASED charity raised more than £1,000 thanks to a quiz night this month.
17 Feb 2014 17:30
FOREIGN students at Bracknell and Wokingham College were given a history lesson on Scotland by its principal.
16 Feb 2014 17:30
A PEDESTRIAN counts herself “very lucky” after she narrowly avoided being hit by a car that had careered off the road.
13 Feb 2014 08:35
THERE are delays of up to 30 minutes on the M4 eastbound this morning due to heavy traffic.
12 Feb 2014 11:30
FAMILIES in Bracknell Forest who are struggling to cope with a range of problems will get more support, thanks to a local housing association.
12 Feb 2014 11:00
Two roads have reopened to traffic after being forced to shut due to the weather.
11 Feb 2014 14:30
THERE was one piece of good news for travellers today when the second planned 48-hour strike by London Underground workers due to start tonight was called off.