News » Bracknell » Articles »

Elderly couple's home floods for the second time in just three months

Published: 26 Jun 2014 12:001 comment

A WATER company has promised to conduct a thorough investigation after a pipe burst again, flooding homes in Hanworth for the second time in three months.

John and Dymphna Slade, have seen their home in Claverdon, Hanworth, flooded for the second time in three months from a burst water pipe. Claverdon, above, and Ringmead, right, were affected by the burst last Wednesday.

A 16-inch diameter water main in Ringmead burst at about 3.45pm last Wednesday, leaving the road and adjoining road, Claverdon, a raging torrent of water.

Three homes were left flooded and about 200 people were without water or had low water pressure for the rest of the day.

Firefighters and South East Water engineers were on the scene within 15 minutes to pump the water away, leaving the road covered in silt.

It is the second time the area has been hit after the same pipe burst in a similar place on March 6, with 30 homes being flooded.

John and Dymphna Slade, of Claverdon, are both in their 70s and they were only three weeks away from moving back into their home following the previous flooding, when their home was again under water last week.

Mr Slade said: “I have had to have two emergency operations since the first burst because of the stress it caused.

“We are absolutely devas-tated. Our lives have been turned upside down once more.

“It looks like the pipe burst in exactly the same place.”

They have been staying in temporary accommodation at The Parks but now do not know when they will be able to move back to their home.

Despite South East Water saying there was a rapid response, residents also claim they were not contacted until at least two hours after the incident happened.

Steve Benton, distribution manager at South East Water, said: “Approximately 200 customers in the Ringmead area were affected with either no water or low water pressure following the burst. However, the work was undertaken quickly to re-direct the water around our network of underground pipes so supplies to customers were restored as quickly as possible.

Our clean-up contractor was at the scene as soon as possible and is continuing to work with the homeowners.

“I would like to thank all those affected for their ongoing patience and cooperation and apologise for the disruption caused.”

Ringmead was closed until 11.30pm on the same night. Water was restored to homes and the pipeline fixed by the same evening.

Jump to first paragraph.

Comments

Have your say - post a comment on this article

Registered users log in here
If you are registered with us, you can login here. If you are not registered, please do so now. Once logged in you wont have to complete word verification each time you post.