Family of four's prompt action over dishwasher fire is praised
Lisa Jones • Published 23 Jan 2013 09:30 0 Comments
A family of four escaped unharmed from a fire caused by an overheated dishwasher.
Firefighters were called to the house at Gloucestershure Lea, Whitegrove, Bracknell, last night (Jan 22).
Firefighters have praised the prompt actions of the family, who switched the device off, opened all the doors and windows, called the fire service and left the property.
The kitchen unit surrounding the dishwasher was left damaged and there was smoke damage to the kitchen.
Bracknell Fire Station Watch Manager Michael Fulwell said dishwasher fires were rare but the family, which included a twelve year old and 14 year old child, acted correctly in switching the device off and ventilating their house.
"The smoke that it pushes out is highly toxic," he said. "Any electrical device can develop a fault, but a dishwasher fire is quite rare."
This article appeared in Bracknell News 23 Jan 13