Free Child Lifesaver course
Published: 19 Jun 2012 06:30
The Midweek and its sister paper the News are once again holding the free class in association with Bracknell-based pharmaceutical company Boehringer Ingelheim and St John Ambulance.
There are 50 places available across two sessions in Bracknell on Thursday, July 12, on a first-come, first-served basis.
Carol-Ann Hood, advertising and marketing consultant for the Midweek, has a two-year-old daughter Ellie and went on a course last year.
She said: "It was really helpful. It's given me more confidence that I would know what to do in an emergency." The course lasts 90 minutes and you can choose a slot at either 11am-12.30pm or 1-2.30pm.
They will be led by St John Ambulance instructors at the charity's centre in Crowthorne Road North, Bracknell.
Training will focus on lifesaving techniques for use on children up to five but some of the basic principles taught at the sessions could be applied to older children and adults.
Topics covered will include unconsciousness; resuscitating a baby or toddler, and coping with choking.
Simon Williams, editor of the News and Midweek papers, said: "This is a fantastic opportunity to learn skills that could make the difference between life and death. We hope you will never need to use the lessons that you have learned for real - but in case you do find yourself in that situation, then hopefully you will be prepared." For more, and to sign up for a place, see the information panel:
* Child Lifesaver courses will be held on Thursday, July 12
* Workshops are free and last 90 minutes
* You can choose either an 11am-12.30pm or
* No childcare is provided
* Workshops will be given by St John Ambulance instructors
* There is a maximum of 25 people per workshop
* Each attendee will have the opportunity for hands on CPR with a manikin
* There will be refreshments provided free of charge
* Places must be booked in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your phone number
* Workshops will be held at St John Ambulance's s centre in Crowthorne Road North, Bracknell RG12 7AU
(turn left by the Sharp Telecommunications' blue building off Bagshot Road going towards Bracknell town centre)