Ascot man arrested over fracking protests
Published: 20 Aug 2013 19:051 comment
The male, 44, was one of 30 protestors taken from the Cuadrilla drilling site in West Sussex yesterday [Monday].
He was arrested on suspicion of breaching section 14 of the Public Order Act 1986, and was later bailed until August 27.
Police have said protestors camped along the road, and created a "serious safety hazard" by linking arms with hundreds more from other camps.
Superintendent Lawrence Hobbs from Sussex Police said: "We had been expecting some form of direct action today and we had officers in place ready to deal with it.
"It has been necessary to close the road, but that has been done a number of times in recent days to ensure that safety of all those who are taking part.
"As we have said from the very start of this protest operation, we are more than happy to facilitate peaceful protest, but those who are intent on criminal action will be arrested."
More than 400 police officers were sent to the site yesterday as the number of people opposing the oil drilling swelled.
Sussex Police have spent more than £750,000 in policing the protests, with more than 1,000 people protesting at the site last weekend.