FIREFIGHTERS have praised a house owner for having working smoke alarms after they put out an attic fire in Crowthorne.

Crews from Bracknell and Wokingham were called to the three-floor home in Church Street after a fire broke out in the attic.

The firefighters were able to deal with the blaze - which was caused by a faulty electrical item - within about 20 minutes.

However watch manager Gary Martin, from Bracknell fire station, said: "The woman heard the smoke alarm and called us.

"If she hadn't it could have been a very big fire."