A MAN was evacuated from his home today after triggering a gas leak by moving his freezer.

Fire crews were called to Patten Ash Drive in Wokingham at 11.15am and spent 45 minutes ventilating the house with a fan normally used for blowing smoke out of properties.

Watch manager Steve Beard said: "The gentleman was moving his freezer, which leaked gas.

"This filled the house, so we used the fan to clear the property and a firefighter also went in with breathing apparatus to close doors and try to prevent it spreading.

"We also ensured the neighbours kept their windows closed and didn't go out into their gardens until we had made the area safe."