A MAN had to be given oxygen after mixing together two household cleaning products.

Firefighters from Bracknell station were called to Ladybank, in Birch Hill, at noon today (Friday) to help clear the toxic fumes.

The crew spent 40 minutes ventilating the property by opening all the windows and using industrial fans.

Firefighter Dave Budge, from white watch, explained that the man had poured a household bleach and bathroom cleaner containing hydrochloric acid down the toilet at the same time, without reading the warning labels, and was "engulfed" by the fumes.

The occupant, believed to be in his late 30s, was treated by paramedics on the scene as a precaution.