A MAN was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire in his kitchen.

Crews from Wokingham and Bracknell fire stations rushed to a flat in Oxford Road, Wokingham at 11.30pm last night (Saturday), where flames were issuing from the bin and the kitchen was smoke logged.

Firefighters spent an hour on the scene putting out the blaze and clearing smoke.

Firefighter Stuart Ferguson treated the man in his 50s for smoke inhalation and paramedics were also on the scene but he did not need hospital treatment.

Firefighter Brett Humphreys said: "If we hadn't got there so quickly it would have been more developed. The light fitting had started to burn but we go there in time."

It is believed the fire started accidentally from a disguarded match.